What we discussed in our meeting last Wednesday (May 15)
1) VACCINATIONS: Julia Kovac provided a handout from the CDC including notes about vaccinations and bug-spray required/recommended. If you are going, make sure your tetanus, Hep A and Hep B, Typhoid are up-to-date.
2) Required Forms: We will be filling out Diocesan forms, medical emergency info, code of ethics, waiver, etc. These forms have been used for groups traveling to events in US (eg: NCYC) and will begin to be used for these international travels as well. Will distribute in the future. (Diane Pickert and Fr. Sharbel).
3) Travel DATES are July 23-29. Cost is $550 for airfare from KC to Montego Bay on these dates. Transportation arrangements from MB to Balaclava are needed since Fr. Mushi’s van is broken/gone.
Missionaries: Julia Kovac, Brittain Kovac, Lori Sage, Olivia Messina, Josh Dickey, Logan Hayes, Sandra Scheuler, Carolyn Scheuler
Possible Missionaries: Debbie & Bill Carothers, Natalie Rose, Sandy Digiovanni
4) Costs and Fundraising: Individual cost will vary, but usually it’s about $200-300/per person. Additionally, it’s advised to purchase trip insurance at a cost of approximately $35-60/per person (this is done individually and can be done much later). The more people going on the trip, the more funds are needed, so let’s maximize our fundraising efforts. Bake sale made $1116.44 (includes $337 from raffle).
5) Itinerary for days in Balaclava: Fr. Mushi’s response indicates that vacation bible school will be occurring during our visit and that other activities will include daily mass, visits to the homebound, the parish BBQ, sports and crafts with the kids, and finalizing the scholarship program. If sightseeing, maybe on the last day of the trip, not during. Sandra is emailing Fr. Mushi to determine if we are going to take supplies or donated items and what kind. Debbie Carothers (St. Andrews’ parishioner) is the Religious Ed coordinator and would be very willing to track down any materials needed for the VBS and crafts. Discussed potentially showing a movie after masses (Rise & Dream or other), but will check with Fr. Mushi. Evenings are not a safe time for people to attend and we will likely be busy during the daytime with his list of activities.
6) Sr. Angela & 20th Year: Sister Angela Fitzpatrick, a member of the first mission trip in 1996 when she was pastoral associate here, was in attendance. She is glad to see that the relationship with our sister parish in Balaclava has continued and is strengthening. She is willing to participate/support ideas of an “anniversary”-type celebration of the Jamaica sister parish and wants to be kept informed.
8) Jamaica car wash after masses the weekend of June 22-23. Start getting friends and family lined up to help as we will need crews of about 8-10 people at each mass. Brittain will be coordinating. Additionally, we will be selling the raffle tickets at the end of masses this weekend also.
9) Next Meeting: TBD in mid-June.