REMINDER: each of us may want to say the Missionary Novena prayer (BELOW) for the 9 days leading to our trip. That begins on this Sunday, July 14th.
What we discussed in our meeting last Thursday (July 11)
1. Questions concerning the airport arrival: Sandra will get answers from Brittain about the following and FWD on to the group:
a) Confirmation number since there are no paper tickets
b) Which terminal and what time does it open?
2. Packing Party at Mischlich: Sunday, July 21 @ 3:00pm. Even if you cannot be there to pack, please send (with Sandra) an empty, lightweight suitcase that can be filled with donated items.
a) Make luggage tags for all the bags: Carolyn Scheuler
b) Bring bright/easy to recognize duct tape to place on the suitcases
3. Groceries: Because Brittain is there ahead of us, she will do the shopping for the group and meet us in Montego Bay.
4. Group T-shirts: Sandra/Julia have ordered T-shirts for the group and will bring 4 extras as gifts for our hosts.
5. Tips from John: Make sure we know how to fill out the Jamaica Customs form ahead of time (Sandra will have copies for everyone that morning at KCI). If plan to use your credit card, notify the company that you will be in Jamaica for these days.
6. Julia recommends strongly to use bugspray with 40% DEET and treat a flat sheet the week before we leave. This treated sheet should keep bugs away while sleeping.
7. After Sunday’s 11am mass (Fr. Sharbel will give us a blessing), those who will be helping with the Vacation Bible Camp should stay for meeting led by Debra Carothers in the parish conference room.
8. Each of us will take a saint from our Novena prayer and learn about that saint, so that the kids can come and ask us about that. There will be a VBS day about saints (Heroes from Heaven), but this will provide an informal way to teach/share. We may have a lanyard with the saint or it the name may be written on your T-shirt or cap you wear. Share your thoughts on how to do this…
9. May want to purchase Jamaican crafts from the market (in the empty donation suitcases) and then sell at the parish to raise money for Jamaica.
10. Copies of important info: make a copy of your insurance card and make 2 copies of your picture page of your passport (leave 1 copy at home, pack 1 in your suitcase).
Novena for St. Gabriel Jamaica Mission Trip
Most Sacred heart of Jesus,
in a special way during this year of faith,
watch over your missionaries who leave everything
to give testimony to Your Word. Help us to reach out
with the healing touch of Christ who calls us to holiness and to mission.
May we build communities that are signs of God’s presence.
In difficult moments, sustain our energy, comfort our hearts,
and crown our work with spiritual achievements.
Dear Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for us.
St. Gabriel, the Archangel, pray for us.
St. Gabriel of Our lady of Sorrows, pray for us.
St. Raphael, the Archangel, pray for us.
St. Maria Goretti, pray for us.
St. Michael, protect us and pray for us.
St. Therese, patroness of foreign missions, pray for us.
Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.
St. Martin de Porres, pray for us.
Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, pray for us.
St Eugene de Mazenod (ma’-ze-naud), pray for us.
Blessed Virgin Mary of the Assumption, patron of Jamaica, pray for us.